Thursday, November 21, 2013

Wandering Swimmonster

The pool. Always a chuckle-inducing adventure.

Wednesday morning I swam, enjoying a lane to myself. While I was resting at the wall, I noticed a woman bobbing over towards me (I was in the lane that borders the leisure pool section). I watched as she bobbed and bobbed... and then bobbed right under the lane divider and popped up right in front of me. As in, our boobs could have touched. If anyone had been watching, I'm sure I was staring at her while she was under the water in that 'dad just dove under the water and is going to grab me and pull me under at any moment' kind of freakout stare. I was against the wall. So I began to scoot over all the way to the right. She blinked and wiped her face in an "oh my, that water! it's so wet!" kind of fashion. She didn't say anything. Then, she turned to face the middle of the wall and pushed off on her back, commencing her zig-zag swimming session, using the entire lane.

Some history: I've seen this woman being yelled at by another woman while they were sharing a lane one day. (Always good drama at the Community Center!) This woman kept trying to tell her that she wasn't staying on her side, to which the woman didn't really show much acknowledgement. After the 3rd encounter (at least that I saw), which was a head-on collision, she was pretty angry. I'm not sure if she's 100% aware of everything around her, honestly. Though, when I saw her in the locker room later, she didn't seem so foggy-headed as she is in the pool.

Remembering that day, I moved over to the next lane. I was about to start 5 x 25 all out sprints, and I didn't want to bonk heads.

There's a card game series called Munchkin that is a humorous take on roll-playing games, poking fun at the different characters and functionality of those games. You defeat Monster cards to level up and win the game. One of the card types is a "Wandering Monster" card, which is played with a Monster card to make it more difficult to defeat it and the first monster. This all matters because of the strange way my brain relates things. I couldn't help but think about her as a Wandering Swimmonster...




No comments:

Post a Comment