Friday, November 22, 2013

Hills and hills (and hills)

Wednesday evening I met some friends in Oakley and we ran through that area and Hyde Park. Um....hills. So many of them. Long ones, tall ones, steep ones, neat ones.  It was supposedly about a 4.5 mile route...but we ran for 56 minutes and I am pretty certain we didn't go that slow.

I did slow down a lot on the hills though. It just takes everything out of me and I can't breathe. It was a great wakeup call to the fact that my usual terrain is not very challenging at all.

It was difficult to not feel very disappointed with how hard the run was. After all, I've been "working out all the time" according to people that mostly see what I do on Facebook. I think I had a false sense of fitness, that I was going to tromp all over those hills like they were nuthin'. I'm getting stronger, yes. But in reality, I haven't been training that distance nor that kind of terrain. And I'm already not a gifted runner. So, patience and more work, young grasshopper.

I am certainly feeling it in my legs. Quads and inside my thighs. No achilles pain though, so that's great!
Thursday I didn't do anything. Figured it wouldn't hurt to take a day off. Friday I swam, but am going to cram some running and biking into Saturday morning again. It's really hard to do a workout Friday afternoon, I'm learning. Maybe the accumulation of the week both physically and mentally.

I'm so anxious to run more miles. I want to get out to Miami Whitewater and do the 8 mile loop. Soon. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment