Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Swimming "Build/Descends"

One segment of today's swim training called for fartleks (teehee) for 4 x 100 "in the build/descend format." I didn't understand what that meant, and looked up more about it before going this morning. I thought I had it right going into the workout, but I just checked again and didn't do it quite right.

In my book it says "4 x 100 (25 build/25 descend...) 10 second rest."  For some reason (maybe the dot dot dot confused me) I took this as build for 25, go harder for 25, go harder for 25 again and then descend for 25. So that's what I did–I made it one big peak instead of two. What I should have been doing was building for 25 then descending for 25. It sounds a bit harder than what I did, because I don't have many swim paces. It's pretty much slow and slightly faster than slow.

Overall, I'd say this isn't a big deal. And actually, it made me end up practicing how to recover in the water while still swimming. I supposed I've been forced to do this in the past, in the lake. But today I figured out a little more about maintaining a pace. There were only 10 second rests between these, so I had to just do the next one even if I didn't feel ready. I really think my breathing is getting better... fingers crossed.

Talked to the pregnant lady that I sometimes share a lane with. I finally said the "joke" that's been in my head. "Maybe the baby is helping by kicking when you swim."  Yep.


No comments:

Post a Comment