Monday, November 18, 2013

Last Week's Summary

Three weeks in to new training, I (finally) made ALL my workouts. I have been having a hard time with Thursdays and Fridays. I still didn't do everything quite exactly to plan, but I think by listening to how I felt, I actually did a better choice of workouts at the end of the week.

Last week:
- Monday I swam 1400 yds and ran about 4 miles.
- Tuesday I did a one hour spinning class.
- Wednesday I swam 1850 yds and ran about 4 miles. I was pooped from the swim.
- Thursday I rode on the trainer for 1:30:00...the longest I believe I've ridden inside. At least in a long time. Also the longest I've ridden since not doing Saturday morning breakfast rides (since I don't want to ride in the cold).
- Friday I swam 1500 yards and was supposed to run my 2.5 loop. But the swim was pretty rough, and I was so tired. So I decided I'd add that run to my ride the next day and make a little brick out of it
- Saturday I rode on the trainer for an hour to music and then, somewhat quickly, changed into my running stuff and ran as steady as I could for the 2.5 mile loop.


Stuff I Learned:

1. While on the 1:30:00 trainer ride, I watched an episode of Breaking Bad and two episodes of the Colbert Report. This was nice to pass the time. But I've realized I have a hard time keeping a steady pace while watching things. So it was a pretty slow hour and thirty minutes, but hopefully my heart rate was in a decent zone (didn't wear it). When I ride to music it's a much better workout.

2. I needed a new saddle. So I bought one Saturday afternoon! I'm excited to try it this week.

3. The brick...I think I'll do one of these every 3 weeks, timed before my recovery week. Such a good way to get a real idea of how strong you are. It is amazing how terrible I run after riding. And I don't run well to begin with, so...extra terribleness.

4. I miss running. I feel like I don't run much anymore. I'm learning about balancing these three sports. It's very interesting trying to think about which sport's mindset I'm in. Mostly, I think I need to think about putting them all together. That is the big difference from just running.


This week is a recovery week. This morning I only swam 1150 and it felt crazy quick (as in the time I was there, not me moving through the water). After this week, I think I might repeat these past 3 weeks since I now finally feel like I handled the training ok in the last week. Maybe I can aim to do them better, especially the running. I must must must add some core also.

No comments:

Post a Comment