Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Outdoor swimming at the YMCA

I am now a YMCA member.

Got my 20% off per month via the friend referral and did a short swim this afternoon right after lunch! :)  I'm looking forward to being outside swimming. Man, it's so different and much more enjoyable.

I didn't have much time thanks to my 2 hours at the Apple store this morning, but I decided I'd do a quick 800. I did 400 as I pleased, taking some breaks. Then I did 400 on 1:15. I think that's how you say it? I'm very slow swimming. I can do a 50 anywhere around :57 or 1:03. I think most people do 100 around 1:20. I saw something last night that talked about starting each interval at a certain measure of time. So if I can muster a minute for 50 yards, then I would have about 15 seconds of rest before I'd start again. That way you stay working and consistent, not taking too long of breaks.

I think it worked well. I really need to remember to focus on pulling rather than kicking. It's amazing how little you need to kick with swimming. And, over-kicking makes me completely unable to breathe. I found the pull buoys and kick boards on my way out of the pool. They are in the indoor pool area, which is right off the outdoor pool.

I stuck my foot in the indoor pool water...it felt like bath water!

I have not one pool but apparently 3 pools to choose from. The schedules look kinda complicated. But it looks like every afternoon is all mine to swim outside. And maybe some sunbathing too.


No comments:

Post a Comment