Thursday, July 10, 2014

Loveland 5K on the Bike Trail, #2

Wednesday evening we crammed in another 5K run in Loveland before working on the race car. It was a really nice day –  no humidity and just mid-80s. The air condition is off (maybe all these window days will make up for the expensive winter?)  I met Greg there after work, and we were earlier this time, so we could go down to Roncker's to register and get a chip. Hey why not, it's kinda fun to see where you fall.

I was hoping to run faster than I did last week. Thinking about that started to sap the spontaneity and fun mode out of it though. I began to feel pressure, like I always do with running. Clearly, I'm better off not thinking about things, but it's a mental game with me I'm realizing. The less I think about how I'm doing or may or may not do, the better.

I did the same "strategy" of going out fast* and smooth and just try to hang on. My breathing was kinda rough, and I began to feel it in my legs this time. I guess it's appropriate this week's workouts have been kinda light, in my "getting back to it" phase. At the turn-around, my watch read 14:15. Last week it was 14:22. Crap. That's great! But pressure. I immediately thought, "ok, you did the first half better...now don't worry...you can just go easy if you want to...you won't be able to hold this pace anyway..."  A lot of not so great thoughts. I really never realized how much I do this with everything until recently.

I slowed down quite a bit coming back, at least right after the turn-around. (See above mental stuff.) Then I worked on lengthening my stride again and began to pick people off. That was stressful too. What if they pass me back? It will take everything out of me, I worried. But no one did. I yo-yo'd with a little red-haired boy for the remainder of the race. And I was passed by a woman pushing a stroller right at the end. I watched my watch and was pushing, trying to get to my time from last week. I made it 3 seconds slower. So, not bad, and I'd say I'm learning a bit in the racing/how much to push/positive thoughts realm. Good practice for sure.

Unlike most races, this one's age groups are heavy in the under 18 category. There are a lot of kids and cross-country teams that show up. Some have their coaches with them. It's kinda fun running with little kids. I happened to be 3rd in my age group when I left...out of 4, haha.

Greg smashed his time from last week by almost 30 seconds. His time was 26:08 or something around there. He's a whole minute per mile faster than me. I'm wondering if it's possible to get down to that pace by the end of the summer (and before the triathlon in September). Hmmmm.

Plank update: They still suck. ;)  I am still doing them, for 30 seconds only at a time. Blargh. Actually, during the race I could feel how much I engage my core when running. So maybe that is a good sign.

Race car update: It now has red paint on the back. We still need to do the blue stripe. I have red paint on my feet, and I just blew my nose after sneezing a few times: pink came out. I think tonight we may put the blue stripe on. Then this weekend: electrical, delivery thingy on top, brake check...not sure what else.



*I'm far from fast. This is a relative term for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment