Sunday, January 5, 2014

Happy New Year

I am watching the Bengals in playoff game number 1 and hoping for a win! While watching some pretty awesome plays, I was again awestruck by the example of football players' athleticism. Say what you want about their pampered lifestyles, criminal records, etc – I probably won't argue any of that. But when they're on the field playing, it's a reminder of how amazing bodies can be. And that got me thinking about my plans for the year and how I hope to experience some amazingness from my body as well.

The holidays and some crazy crazy work projects with crazier deadlines were pretty rough on the training schedule. After the Jingle Bell run on my birthday (which was cold, wet but fun), I only ran sporadically. The last day I've swam was December 11th. So it hasn't been a month yet, but wow. It's ok though - now things are going back to routines of work and also working out. I love the new year and planning!

Here are some highlights of the past month and what's to come.

1. Dec 14th Jingle Bell Run. Me, Greg, Casey and Richard ran the race. It was a cold wet morning, but it was still pretty fun. I didn't do nearly as well as I had been running about a month before...but that's because my running was already dwindling some. I managed a 9:36 pace and it was difficult. Meh. Since then, it's been sporadic runs outside.

2. Signed up for an indoor triathlon. The Mason Community Center is hosting an indoor triathlon on Feb 2nd. It's a goofy sounding kind of thing, but I think it will be fun and it has certainly motivated me. I signed up for a 10:15 time slot. I will swim as far as I can for 10 minutes. Then, I have 8 minutes to change clothes and get to what I guess is a spinning bike somewhere. I ride as far as I can for 20 minutes. Then I run as far as I can on a treadmill for 15 minutes. Sounds like a good time!

3. Strength. I'm doing planks a bunch now. Only 30 seconds at a time, but my shoulders have been very tweaky and sore, so it's enough. I'm also planning to do weights 2 - 3 times a week at the gym for a while. I need power/strength.

4. Swimming starts again Monday! I may take lessons in February or March. But for now I'm going to just get back into the water and try to get some swimming fitness back (the little I had).


I think that's it for now. Goals are simple. Get in real shape and enjoy the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment