Monday, February 10, 2014

A Pain in My Foot

I have a strange pain in my left foot, on the side near the ball, just behind the big toe (but definitely on the side before anyone starts saying I broke my metatarsal #1!) It is a strange, severe shooting pain that happens when I...not sure. I can't seem to recreate it regularly. It seems I have figured out that I can kind of twist or turn on my foot when putting weight on it and that will maybe make it happen. I can't push anywhere on it or flex my foot around to make any pain occur. But when the pain does occur...wow it hurts.


How I Think I Did This (a brilliant moment)

While walking back from Hathaways after broomball breakfast on Saturday, I saw a big chunk of ice about the size of a broomball ball and started using my stick to play with it as we were crossing the street. Hardy har, using my stick with ice, like it's a ball...so funny. And then I decided to kick it out of the street all the way before we got back to the sidewalk. Because I'm a 10 year old boy.

That kick really hurt. And right before I kicked it, I at least had some sense (debatable) to turn my foot at the last minute in order to not kick it directly with my toes. I'm not a soccer player, but at least have the knowledge that you use the side of your foot when kicking. So lucky side of my foot made contact with ice block, which was a really solid ice block, not breakable slushy stuff I thought it might be, and PAIN!! I didn't say anything because I felt incredibly stupid.

I didn't think anything of it, until yesterday. Sure it hurt when I did it, but I didn't believe I would have done any lasting damage. But Saturday evening my foot had weird twinges of pain if I stepped a certain way. Still just thought I had just stepped funny. Sunday I ran 6 miles on this foot, with no issues until the last mile when the pain happened suddenly and almost brought me to my knees. Two hobble-steps later and I was fine. That's the other weird thing - the pain goes away immediately. Nothing residual.

Last night in the kitchen I played around on the hard tile with different positions and finally think I found it, which led me to think I maybe cracked something or damaged a tendon with that dumb kick of the ice block. I don't have any other explanation for the sudden onset of the pain.

Good news seems to be (after some self-diagnosing) if I did damage my first metatarsal bone, that's an easy one to heal! I suppose I hope that is all it is, and not something nerve-like. I'm going to keep moving on it as long as moving on it doesn't create more pain. Fingers crossed, this isn't a big deal. But of course, as someone who uses feet for a lot of fun activity, when there is a pain, I tend to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment